64 Days Until The Season Begins
By Zach Laing1 month ago
Throughout the summer and into the fall, we’ll be counting down the days until the Edmonton Oilers begin their 2023-24 season with a daily trip down memory lane.
With 64 days to go until the season starts, let’s look back at the 64 goals Connor McDavid scored this past season.
Failed to load video.
What a year it was for Connor McDavid.
And looking back, we should’ve known something special was coming after the first game of the season.
In the Oilers season opener, a home match against the visiting Vancouver Canucks on Oct. 12, McDavid led the way for the Oilers with a hat-trick and an assist helping lead the team to a 5-3 victory. For McDavid, it would be one of two hattricks scored over the course of the year, with his other happening on Oct. 27th with a similar four-point performance against the Chicago Blackhawks.
In short order McDavid would solidify himself atop the league’s scoring boards and didn’t look back. Through October, he scored nine goals adding as many assists for 18 points in thanks to his pair of hat tricks. A hot start would go a long way for McDavid as by the end of the calender year, he had 32 goals in 38 games. He wasn’t able to keep up the .84 goals per game pace, but he still mustered up 32 more tallies in the remaining 44 games of the season.
Crowned the Rocket Richard winner for the first time in his career, it was nothing short of an incredible regular season for McDavid. Along with his 64 goals came 89 assists and a 153 point total — a number that hadn’t been seen in decades.
His scoring ways translated into the post-season, too, racking up another eight goals in 12 games. Unfortunately for the Oilers, the run was cut short by the Vegas Golden Knights.
Throughout the season, McDavid scored goals on 36 opposing netminders. He scored the most of his goals against Seattle Kraken netminder Martin Jones and Arizona Coyotes goaltender Connor Ingram, beating them each four times. Then, it was Joonas Korpisalo and Alex Stalock, each being beaten twice. He scored two goals against 14 goaltenders, and one goal against 18 separate goaltenders.
Percentage of goals
This season, McDavid knew when to come up clutch. He scored 16 goals this year in the first period, just 25 percent of his markers. In the second period, he found the back of the net 20 times for 31.25 percent of his goals.
Where he did his damage most, however, was the third period where he scored 26 goals this year for 41 percent of his goals. An additional two were overtime winners.
Over the course of the year 19 different players assisted on McDavid’s goals for 104 apples. The most, in what should be a surprise to none, belonged to Leon Draisaitl, who helped set up McDavid on 27 of his goals this season with him accounting for 26 percent of the total assists.
Next up was Zach Hyman, who chipped in on 15 goals, followed by Tyson Barrie (12), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (10) and Evan Bouchard and Darnell Nurse (seven) filling out the rest of the top five.
Percentage of assists
The biggest question we’ll all be asking is if McDavid can ever top his 64-goal total again. He became the 13th player in NHL history to hit the 64-goal mark, and his campaign was the 26th of the like in history.
It’s an elusive club that’s seen more than enough players fall just shy of joining it. For McDavid, who was the first to score that many goals since Alexander Ovechkin did so hitting the 65 mark in 2007-08, he could further cement his legacy by even being able to repeat a 60-goal campaign. If he could, he would be the eighth player in league history to hit the 60 goal mark twice or more.
Zach Laing is the Nation Network’s news director and senior columnist. He can be followed on Twitter at @zjlaing, or reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 99 Days Until The Season Begins — Wayne Gretzky
- 98 Days Until The Season Begins — Jesse Puljujarvi
- 97 Days Until The Season Begins — Connor McDavid
- 96 Days Until The Season Begins — Jayden Grubbe
- 95 Days Until The Season Begins — The 1995 Draft
- 94 Days Until The Season Begins — Ryan Smyth
- 93 Days Until The Season Begins — Petr Nedved
- 92 Days Until The Season Begins — Tomas Jurco
- 91 Days Until The Season Begins — Magnus Paajarvi
- 90 Days Until The Season Begins — The 1990 Stanley Cup
- 89 Days Until The Season Beings — Mike Comrie
- 88 Days Until The Season Begins – Brandon Davidson
- 87 Days Until The Season Begins — Rendez-vous ’87
- 86 Days Until The Season Begins — Nikita Nikitin
- 85 Days Until The Season Begins — Petr Klima
- 84 Days Until The Season Begins — Oscar Klefbom
- 83 Days Until The Season Begins — Ales Hemsky
- 82 Days Until The Season Begins — Jordan Oesterle
- 80 Days Until The Season Begins — Ilya Bryzgalov
- 79 Days Until The Season Begins — The WHA-NHL Merger
- 78 Days Until The Season Begins — Marc-Antoine Pouliot
- 77 Days Until The Season Begins — Adam Oates
- 76 Days Until The Season Begins — Bryan Young
- 75 Days Until The Season Begins — Jacques Plante
- 74 Days Until The Season Begins — The Edmonton Gardens
- 73 Days Until The Season Begins — Vincent Desharnais
- 72 Days Until The Season Begins — The Alberta Oilers
- 71 Days Until The Season Begins — Lubomir Visnovsky
- 70 Days Until The Season Begins — Curtis Hamilton
- 69 Days Until The Season Begins — Nice jersey number
- 68 Days Until The Season Begins — Jaromir Jagr
- 67 Days Until The Season Begins — Gilbert Brule
- 66 Days Until The Season Begins — The 1966 Memorial Cup
Recent articles from Zach Laing