GDB 21.0 Wrap Up: Oilers score four in the third period, complete 4-3 comeback over Rangers
By baggedmilk1 year ago
What a comeback wow. Final Score: 4-3 Oilers
Welcome to our game day content presented by NHL betting site Betway!
I know I talked about how important today’s game was in the GDB, but I think it’s worth repeating that the Oilers are running out of time and they need to start stringing some wins together. At the very least, the Oilers needed to show themselves that they’re better than they’ve performed over the last couple of weeks. Could it be done? While there’s no doubt that winning might be a tall order against a strong Rangers team, if the Oilers got back to basics and played the simple game that’s been successful for them under Woodcroft then there is no one in this league that they shouldn’t expect to be. Of course, it’s easy for me to say such things from my seat at the bar with a delicious caesar in my hand. Speaking of which, I should mention that I’m actually writing this Wrap Up from my phone at SOHO because I was absolutely not going to miss the Brunch for Ben party we put together that sold out because of your amazing support. So if something looks weird with the formatting or my spelling is even worse than normal, I will apologize in advance but hope that you understand. I love brunch. You get it.
PRESENTED BY BETWAY
Things Worth Mentioning…
- Alex Lafreniere opened the scoring (1-0) with a tap-in from the goal mouth after he outbattled Broberg for position and got his stick on the puck. Brutal start for the Oilers… again.
- After a pair of disallowed goals, the Rangers finally extended the lead (2-0) with a bank shot from behind the net that bounced in off Campbell’s pads.
- Only moments later, Braeden Gauthier put the Rangers up by a field goal (3-0) after the puck squeaked out to him near the crease after a scramble and he buried it past Campbell.
- Evan Bouchard got the Oilers on the board (3-1) with a power play snipe from the high circle that beat Shesterkin high over the blocker. Bouchard added another goal later in the third period (3-2) after beating the goalie with a shot from the slot as he was falling.
- Dylan Holloway tied the game (3-3) with his first NHL goal with a snipe from the circle that beat the goalie down low. The kid’s first couldn’t come at a better time and I was pumped for him.
- Leon Draisaitl gave the Oilers the lead (4-3) on the power play with just over two minutes left after a pretty passing play set him up with an open net from his office.
- How about three assists for Ryan McLeod? We needed him to produce and he came through on a big way.
- The PK was very good for Edmonton today. The Oilers killed off 3-of-3 against the Rangers.
- The power play was also successful as the boys cashed in a pair of goals on their three opportunities.
- I’ll admit that I was a little bit surprised to see Jack Campbell get the start despite not being the problem against the Islanders, but was generally hopeful that he’d be able to put something together. Despite the goals against, Soup make the saves he needed to close out the win and it was a fantastic finish. Campbell finished the game with 20 saves and a .870 save%.
- I counted at least 4-5 instances of Darnell Nurse being caught completely out of position and they’re so much better than that.
- Bouchard and Broberg was a bold pairing for Jay Woodcroft and there were a few times when they had my heart pumpin. Right now, with this roster, I’m not sure that’s the duo I’d e putting together but I’m not the coach and no one asks for my opinion.
- Speaking of defensive coverage, where was it? This team looks like they have no idea how to defend at this point.
- Shout out to Jeremy Coupal for the laser vision on Panarin’s disallowed goal and the goalie interference call on Schneider.
- Oilers outshot the Rangers by a 32-23 margin.
- I want to say thank you one million times to everybody that came down to SOHO for our Brunch for Ben viewing party. Not only was it amazing to see everybody, but we raised a nice little chunk of money for a very good cause. Thank you, Nation. You never cease to amaze.
THE 2022 BLACKOUT COLLECTION
The 2022 NationGear Blackout Collection is out now and moving quickly, so you don’t want to wait on picking something up to beautify your wardrobe. Once these designs are gone, they’re gone. The clock is ticking.
Recent articles from baggedmilk