One would think that there would be a time during the year where guys would just stop getting injured. There’s no science behind this, just a general thought. How in the world is it possible for so many people from one team to get injured in such a small period of time? The season is winding down now, with just a few more weeks of hockey left, and for some strange reason I thought that the injuries would stop happening by this time. I was wrong.
Before I get to the bad news, let’s touch quickly on some good news! Ryan Nugent-Hopkins returned this past week after being on the IR for far too long with a broken hand. The kid had a big smile on his face and was pumped to be back on the ice. Though he hasn’t tallied any points since his return, Nuge fired a shot off the post in one of his first shifts back. At this point of the season, instead of dreading on all the losses it’s fun to look at the bright side of things. Eh guys? Eh? Here’s the bad news.
Newly acquired Oilers defenceman, Adam Pardy is out of the lineup on a week to week basis with a hand injury as a result of blocking a shot against Minnesota. With only three weeks left in the season, depending on how Pardy’s hand heals, a week-to-week timeline could mean Pardy will be out for the rest of the season.
— Jeanshorts (@JSBMjeanshorts) March 15, 2016
I guess it’s safe to say that the Pardy is over ? ? https://t.co/oVFD5OCFym
— Chris Gordeyko (@TheNationChris) March 12, 2016
Did somebody not warn Adam Pardy about how injury prone the OIlers were before we scooped him up on waivers? I imagine Pardy’s agent warning him on the flight over, but Adam continuously saying ‘it won’t happen to me.” WRONG ADAM. I’ve got some news for you, it happens to everybody. Welcome to the Oilers!
It has been an ongoing theme this season about how my injury report has jinked the Oilers, causing nearly all of their players to have some sort of long term injury. One thing I never thought of until today, is how the injury report has probably jinked my own health, and all of those around me as well. The reason I say that is cause I am currently writing this article from my bed at home. Day-to-day with the flu is what some would say.
I’ve been sick more times this winter, than any other winter in my life. AND the Oilers have had more injuries this winter, then they’ve had in the past decade. There’s only one common denominator, and it’s the Injury Report. OR maybe cause it’s the first year in my life I never got my flu shot (Team Flu Shot), and this whole thing is pure coincidence. We will never know, until the same thing happens again next year.
The Other Guys
- Benoit Pouliot remains on the IR with his long term shoulder injury after crashing head first into the boards, a couple weeks ago. No timeline on his return. With only three weeks remaining in the schedule, you have to wonder if he’ll even return this season. There’s no way you rush back any injured player with our circumstances right now.
- It has been just under one month since Eric Gryba injured his knee. His initial timeline was a month, but as of now he is out indefinitely.
- Brandon Davidson is still out with a lower body injury and has no timeline on his return. The fact that no one is even talking about it makes me think he won’t return at all this season.
- Andrew Ference has not played with the team in a very long time, and will not in the future either. If you are just finding this out now, you should probably go back and read all my articles.
- We still have no word on when Oscar Klefbom will return this season, if he will even return at all. I’m sure he’s dying to get out on the ice again but Oiler’s staff will not rush him back, being this far out of a playoff spot.
But seriously, have injury problems? Our friends at Capilano Rehab Centre will gladly help you out. You can contact them through their site, or call (780) 466-1104.
North x NorthGretz Podcast
This week we were joined by Flamesnation super-blogger Mike Fail! Mike tells us just what exactly has gone wrong with the Flames this year, what he expects for next year and he espouses his love for Taylor Hall! Next we talk about the Nurse suspension, and I play a game of rapid fire with Mike before we answer your hard hitting Ask The Idiots questions!
As always you can follow North x NorthGretz on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes!
- Episode 9 – NxNGretz Holiday Special
- Episode 10 – An NxNGretz New Years
- Episode 11 – Is There A TV Doctor In The House?
- Episode 12 – Making An Interner
- Episode 13 – Guilty Pleasures
- Episode 14 – All Star Weekend
- Episode 15 – Disaster In Jasper
- Episode 16 – Contagious
- Episode 17 – Story time with Pat Hughes
- Episode 18 – The Trade Deadline
- Episode 19 – Clean N’ Jerks