THE BRIGHT SIDE
- After the way Thursday’s game against the Blues ended, how fitting was it that Darnell Nurse opened the scoring (1-0) with a seeing-eye wrister that took a friendly change of direction on its way through traffic and past Dostal.
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins pulled the Oilers to within one (3-2) with a power play goal late in the second period that came off a broken play in the slot that saw the puck squeeze out of the pile and onto RNH’s stick before he pumped it into the back of the net.
- Connor McDavid tied the game on the power play (3-3) after the Ducks put themselves down by two men and the Oilers made the short work of the opportunity. Leading up to the goal, the boys were snapping the puck around with purpose and you know good things happen when Leon finds Connor at the backdoor with plenty of time to make a play.
- He may not have scored but I thought Dylan Holloway had a really strong game, and it was nice to see him get rewarded with a few extra shifts here and there. Holloway finished with two shots, three hits, and a +1 rating in his 12:44 of TOI.
- Even though he had a quiet game, I was happy to see Warren Foegele back in the lineup as the Oilers desperately need some people to start getting healthy and back on the ice.
- The Oilers power play continues to drive this team as they picked up two goals on six chances with the man advantage. Obviously, we needed more this afternoon but it’s also pretty shocking that they couldn’t get more than one even strength marker against this opponent.
- If you’re a fan of the Corskis then you’ll be thrilled to know that the Oilers outshot the Ducks by a 49-17 margin which is a rare victory for this team in that department.
- Huge props to the Oilers for the way they involved kids in the entire game day experience from the broadcast to what was going on in the rink. Personally, I thought the kid doing the in-arena announcements killed it.
PRESENTED BY BETWAY
THE FACE PALMERS
- THAT WAS THE DUCKS’ THIRD REGULATION WIN OF THE SEASON, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? Awful.
- Are you surprised to hear that Sam Carrick’s tying goal (1-1) that he picked up on a tap-in from the slot was his first goal of the season? You’re not, are you? The whole play started with a giveaway by Nurse in the defensive zone, which is yet another unfortunate example of where his game is at right now.
- Cam Fowler gave the Ducks the lead (2-1) on the power play with a blast from the point that made its way through traffic and past Skinner low on the glove side.
- Ryan Strome extended Anaheim’s lead (3-1) after a horrible giveaway by Bouchard at the opposing blue line put him in on a breakaway that he did not waste.
- John Klingberg restored Anaheim’s lead (4-3) with a snipe from the hashmarks after a giveaway by Bouchard led to additional zone time by the Ducks. To make matters worse, Bouchard put down a perfect screen on Stuart Skinner, preventing him from seeing the shot that eventually beat him on the blocker side.
- I was surprised to see Stuart Skinner get the call against the Ducks since it might have been an easier spot for Jack Campbell to continue working on his game, but that’s not to say that I wasn’t pleased to see him back between the pipes. Unfortunately, this was not Skinner’s day as he was unable to cover up for the mistakes that were happening in front of him, but at the same time, it’s also unfair to expect him to be the hero every single time. Regardless, I doubt Stu would be happy with this performance anyway as he finished the afternoon with 13 saves and a .765 save%.
- This was not a good day for Darnell Nurse or Evan Bouchard as their giveaways were directly responsible for three of the four goals. That’s an eight-hour flight away from being good enough.
- If the depth players can’t score against the Anaheim Ducks then who can they score against?
- Just as I was starting to feel good about the Oilers’ PK, they go and allow a goal in a matter of seconds on Anaheim’s first attempt of two attempts on the day.
- The Oilers won only 43% of the faceoffs and I was not happy about it.
Darnell Nurse (5)
Assists: Derek Ryan (4), Evan Bouchard (10)
Sam Carrick (1)
Assists: Mason McTavish (13), Jayson Megna (1)
Cam Fowler (4) (Power Play)
Assists: Mason McTavish (14), Adam Henrique (8)
Ryan Strome (8)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (15) (Power Play)
Assists: Connor McDavid (34), Leon Draisaitl (32)
Connor McDavid (28) (Power Play)
Assists: Leon Draisaitl (33), Tyson Barrie (21)
John Klingberg (4)
Assists: Frank Vatrano (8), Ryan Strome (9)
Give him a raise!!!
— Connor (@condou7) December 17, 2022
When they get owned by the worst team in the league after they score first. pic.twitter.com/v0VeHIVEX6
— Derek (@dotder) December 17, 2022
Nice to hear @jsbmbaggedmilk on the PA today in Edmonton.
— Nick Alberga (@thegoldenmuzzy) December 17, 2022
— Woodguy (@Woodguy55) December 17, 2022
Afternoon game, opposing 3rd string goalie and ref Joannette = guaranteed Oilers loss.
— DW35 (@deedub35) December 17, 2022