That’s how you do it. Final Score: 6-0 Oilers
For the first time in franchise history, the Edmonton Oilers squared off against the Seattle Kraken and I’ve got the breakdown on any of the notable items that happened during the second tune-up game as we work our way towards opening night. But before we get started here, I’m not going to do the usual Wrap Up that you’d see during the regular season but instead focus on some of the things that stuck out to me in terms of the NHL regulars as well as the prospects that are trying to make a name for themselves. I will, however, get back to the usual format when we get going for real on October 13th.
Things worth mentioning…
- He didn’t play a whole lot compared to what we’re used to seeing but just watching Connor McDavid take a few spins around the rink and tack on a goal with a pair of helpers was enough to get me fired up about another season of watching him turn the National Hockey League into a rec league tournament.
- Speaking of which, I know it’s only the preseason but I’m pretty excited about the Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi line. If that trio can get some chemistry together then they have the makings of being one of the league’s best lines.
- Jesse Puljujarvi looked good in his preseason debut and I found myself drifting off into imaginationland and wondering how many goals the guy will end up with this year if he gets a bump in powerplay time as you’d expect he would now that Chiasson and Neal are both gone.
- Incoming career-high in goals for Zach Hyman. Book it.
- Neither Mike Smith nor Mikko Koskinen were very busy but both guys did what they needed to do to shut the door.
- Couldn’t help but notice Evan Bouchard killing penalties a little bit early on which would be a huge add to his toolbox as Dave Tippett will need to replace the minutes that used to be filled by Adam Larsson and Ethan Bear.
- Colton Sceviour is going to battle his way onto the roster, isn’t he? I know it’s a tiny sample size but I thought the dude had some pep in his step and having him earn a spot would make for some interesting storylines around here.
- Speaking of guys that are doing what they can to earn a spot on the roster, I wonder where Brandon Perlini is on Dave Tippett’s mind because the guy is doing his best impression of Ty Rattie with this ridiculous run of preseason goals.
- Kyle Turris picked up a pair of assists as he tries to maintain pace for the 4RW spot that Josh Archibald doesn’t seem to want anymore. I don’t know how close he’ll get but I’m sure we’ll keep hearing about how good of shape he’s in.
- I don’t know how far Philip Broberg is away from making the jump to the NHL but it’s clear that he has the wheels and size to get the job done. If he can work on sharpening the rest of his skillset down in Bakersfield for a season or two, I’ll be very intrigued to see what kind of player he can become if not saddled by the pressure of defending at the NHL level.
- Markus Niemelainen is a big dude and quietly solid in his own zone, making him a prospect worth following this year as he looks to break through the logjam on the Oilers’ left side of their depth chart.
- The powerplay is still able to powerplay. That is all.
- It was weird to see fans back in the building but I loved it. I missed the vibes.
- I’ve gotta admit that I really liked the Kraken’s road jerseys and I’ll be cheering for them to sell a bunch of those babies in their inaugural season.
- I was very confused by the bonus shootout at the end of the game but there it was to add a little extra dose of flavour at the end of the win.
Next up, the Oilers will head to Winnipeg to take on the Jets for their first meeting since our boys were swept in four games in the Stanley Cup playoffs. The game will be at 6:00 PM on Wednesday and will again be streamed on the Oilers website.