THE BRIGHT SIDE
- @Zach Hyman opened the scoring (1-0) with a power play goal after he parked himself in front of the net and got a stick on Tyson Barrie’s blast from the point. Not only did I love the goal, but I also bet on him to score in the first period for a tidy little +950.
- Near the midway point of the second period, @Kailer Yamamoto extended the lead (2-0) when he was able to chip his own rebound up and over Hellebuyck’s shoulder and under the bar. Leading up to the goal, the Oilers entered the zone with speed and it gave the Jets all kinds of problems as they were unable to handle our boys darting around like little lightning bugs.
- @Connor McDavid gave his team a little bit of insurance (3-0) on a quick snap that caught Hellebuyck by surprise after Leon Draisaitl found him with a ridiculous cross-ice pass that seemed to catch everyone on the ice by surprise. Finishing the night with three points, it’s pretty clear that Connor is doing Connor things again and that’s bad news for the rest of the National Hockey League.
- Shout out to @Darnell Nurse for sinking the empty-netter (4-2) and wrapping the game up because the vibes were tense there for a minute.
- For the first time since being freed from COVID protocol, @Mikko Koskinen was back between the pipes and looking to continue the fine run of hockey he’s been playing over the past few weeks. Picking right back up where he left off, Koskinen was very good when he needed to be and gave the Oilers the stability they needed in the crease even though he wasn’t nearly as busy as his counterpart. Koskinen finished the night with 22 saves and a .917 save%.
- Another shout out to Markus Niemalainen for throwing his body around like he has no nerve endings or any regard for human life.
- I want to give @Tyson Barrie some love for picking up a pair of assists because it’s been a rough go for him over the last two months or so, and I hope this is the start of a better run for him.
- Happy to see the Oilers get another goal on the power play — that’s back-to-back games for the first time in what feels like forever — but it certainly would have been nice to see them get more than one on the five chances they got. One step at a time, though, I suppose.
- It’s incredibly refreshing to see the Oilers not give up their blue line like it’s a free space on the bingo card.
- It’s also pretty funny to see @Evander Kane booed every time he touches the puck for the second time in a week.
- That’s another big Corski win for the boys after they the Jets by a 40-24 margin.
- I am pumped to report that the Oilers won 54% of the faceoffs.
- Sign up for the new ON Newsletter! It’s a weekly thing I’m doing and I’ll have some giveaways, etc happening in there.
THE FACE PALMERS
- @Adam Lowry got the Jets on the board (3-1) with a shorthanded goal after he broke in on a breakaway, made a nice move, and slid the puck through Koskinen’s legs. Somehow Lowry’s breakaway was the second one Winnipeg got within a span of only a few seconds and if I’m Mikko Koskinen I’m asking the boys what the hell they were doing there.
- @Kyle Connor pulled the Jets back to within a single goal (2-1) on the power play with a blast from the circle that beat Koskinen between the glove and body.
- I did not like the Oilers’ effort in the third period at all. Instead of pushing forward for more offence and locking in a convincing win, they sat back and tried to defend the win which nearly proved costly.
- As much as it was nice to see the Oilers get a goal on the power play, I equally dislike the fact that they also gave one on such a sloppy mistake. Shorthanded breakaways = no bueno.
- The Oilers’ PK continues its run of giving up goals — they finished 1-for-6 on the afternoon — but I will also say that they came up with some huge stops at critical points of the game as well.
- The NHL site had the giveaways listed as 13-10 with the Oilers having more, and I’d bet that most of those came in the third period.
Zach Hyman is stepping all the way up in his first year as an Oiler
— Avry's Sports Show (@Avry) February 19, 2022
Niemelainen is a truck .. don’t remember the last oiler we had that can dish it out like that. But man do I love it
— Mike Salame (@Mike_Salame) February 19, 2022
Honestly starting to feel bad for Tippet. It's one thing to get fired but then to have to sit at home and realize "oh shit I WAS bad at my job."
— Travis Dakin (@TravisDakin) February 19, 2022
The Finn reaper
— Scott (@sld87) February 19, 2022
This is the goalie Ken Holland was looking for.
— Woz (@itsWozzz) February 19, 2022