THE BRIGHT SIDE
- That was a hell of a game against the best team in the NHL and I tip my cap to the boys for the effort.
- @Kailer Yamamoto tied the game (1-1) on the back of a beautiful passing play that saw McDavid and Draisaitl bobbing and weaving before Yamo was fed a perfect pass with a wide-open net to shoot at. Not only did Yamo score but I thought he was making an impact nearly every time he was on the ice with the way he annoyed the Avalanche at nearly every turn.
- @Evander Kane tied the game up for the second time (2-2) after he snuck behind Colorado’s defence and into the perfect spot for Yamamoto to find him in front of the net. Once Yamo found Kane alone with Kuemper, the puck was off the guy’s stick and in the net almost as quickly as it got there. The Kane heater is real.
- Draisaitl also got a point because it seems like these two refuse to do anything apart.
- Even though @Mike Smith didn’t have the most difficult outing against the Buffalo Sabres in his last start, I thought he did a good job of handling his business and making the saves he needed to make to lock in the win. On the #BeetCast, I said that I hoped it was the kind of casual win that would build a little bit of confidence for Smith since we’d be better off having him feeling his best considering we were going to need him down the stretch. Tonight, I thought Smith was solid for the Oilers and gave them a quality start, especially when I wouldn’t really hang any of Colorado’s goals on him either. Smith finished the night with 28 saves and a .903 save%.
- @Ryan McLeod is going to be a stud and I refuse to believe anything else based on the way he’s improved through his first full year in the NHL.
- I come to you with news from the spreadsheets which reveal that the Oilers finished the night with a 50.0 CF% and a 44.26 xGF%.
- It’s been a minute since I’ve mentioned the way the Oilers’ neutral zone play has improved under Jay Woodcroft and so I wanted to bring it up again. Rather than sitting back in some kind of zone coverage, the Oilers are way more aggressive with their attack and I am very very appreciative of this upgrade by Woody and the boys.
- I am delighted to advise that the Oilers won 56% of the faceoffs. A true deadline day win, my friends.
- Join us in Calgary for the March 26th BOA as we pack a bus with Nation Citizens and make our way south.
THE FACE PALMERS
- @Mikko Rantanen gave Colorado the early edge (1-1) with a power play goal from in tight after his attempted centering pass was blocked and bounced right back to his stick with an open lane to shoot. A little bit of tough luck mixed with a well-executed power play and you’ve got the Oilers in a hole immediately after flubbing their own chance with the man advantage. Rantanen restored the Avalanche’s lead (2-1) with a second power play goal after his shot from the high slot took a hometown bounce off Darnell Nurse in the slot on its way into the net. Personally, I don’t even think the Avs should have had this PP chance because it was an all-time flop on Yamo but maybe that’s just me being bitter.
- @Nathan MacKinnon ended the game in OT (3-2) with a snipe from the slot after a sloppy bad luck disastrous mess of a sequence by the Oilers gave the Avs an odd-man rush from their blue line in. Nurse’s helmet fell off, Connor fell down, and it was all downhill from there.
- We desperately need the PK squad to figure it out down the stretch. While I wouldn’t say the Oilers were terrible in their shorthanded situations, they did give up a goal on 2-of-5 Avalanche opportunities with the man advantage. Even with the lucky bounces on those goals, I don’t think I have to explain why this is a problem.
- Unfortunately, the power play wasn’t much better as they struck out on both of their opportunities with the man advantage. a
- I will not complain about the refs. I will not complain about the refs. I will not complain about the refs. I will not complain about the refs. I will not…
- We lost the Corskis by a 31-25 margin.
Interesting that you’d say this to me. I’ll remember that.
— Jake (@FatDad_) March 22, 2022
And we traded a 4th for this guy? Invisible on that PK
— ⓈⒾⓃⓀⒺⓋⒾⒸⒽ (@OilySink) March 22, 2022
As long as..
a) the Avs misses the net
b) the Avs shoots straight at Smith
c) Oilers score 6+
.. we'll be fine.
— dohfOs (Martin Lundén) (@dohfOs) March 22, 2022
My favourite part was him pointing to the body parts when describing the Nurse/Keith injuries
— Tyler Yaremchuk (@tyleryaremchuk) March 22, 2022
Eric Lindros still doesn't want to play for that organization
— dangersuede esq. (@dangersuede) March 22, 2022