THE BRIGHT SIDE
- How about @Kailer Yamamoto picking up his sixth goal (1-0) in his last seven games to not only keep his heater going but also to give the Oilers an early lead? I don’t know what’s going on with the kid lately but he’s been playing some incredible hockey down the stretch and it couldn’t have come at a better time.
- @Evander Kane tied the game (2-2) near the midway point of the third period after McDavid found him right in the slot by himself and he quickly pumped the puck over the line. Not only are the goals nice, I’ve gotta admit how much I enjoy the way Kane is always causing mayhem after the whistles. The Oilers haven’t had a player that’s mixed it up at the frequency Kane has in forever, and I’ve honestly forgotten how much I missed it.
- Only 33 seconds after Kane’s tying goal, @Leon Draisaitl restored the Oilers’ lead (3-2) with a lucky bounce goal that bounced in off of him after Devin Shore’s cross-ice pass took a much different journey than expected.
- @Evan Bouchard’s offensive instincts are wonderful to watch and I’m very much looking forward to a time when he’s a little bit more rounded out because he’s going to be a monster.
- I come to you with peace and love to reveal that the Oilers finished the night with a 58.89 CF% and a 50.48 xGF% in the spreadsheet department.
- Nuge is coming back on Thursday! Maybe… Hopefully…
- Rick Bowness’ hair is a party, isn’t it? Rockin’ that puffy mullet look like a champion.
- Once again, I am thrilled to advise that the Oilers won 52% of the faceoffs. Great success! Rejoice!
- Join us in Calgary for the March 26th BOA as we pack a bus with Nation Citizens and make our way south.
THE FACE PALMERS
- That third period was a disaster and I cannot even begin to express how frustrating it is to go from being elated to devasted in the span of a few minutes.
- @Jason Robertson tied the game (1-1) on the back of a pretty passing play by the Stars off the rush that saw them weave through the Oilers’ defensive coverage before getting rewarded with a huge goal. Leading up to the goal, the Oilers were absolutely running the show and the fact that Dallas was able to get something done on their first shot of the period had to be frustrating.
- @Joe Pavelski gave the Stars the lead (2-1) with a power play goal after the rebound from a point shot fell right onto his stick with a wide open net to shoot at.
- With just over five minutes left to play, Roope Hintz tied the game for a second time (3-3) with a breakaway goal after Klingberg found him with a perfect pass behind the defence.
- Only 24 seconds later, @Denis Gurianov gave the Stars the lead (4-3) after he and Tyler Seguin broke into the zone on an odd-man rush that they were able to execute perfectly with a cross-ice pass to tap-in goal at the goal mouth. Crushing sequence for the Oilers.
- @Tyler Seguin added an empty-netter (5-3) in the dying seconds of the game to wrap up the comeback for Dallas.
- Dear Universe, I beg you to solve our penalty killing issues. I beg you. Tonight, the Oilers finished up with one goal against on four Stars chances with the man advantage.
- While you’re at it, Universe, if you could also get to work on our power play that went 0-for-3 once again. Thank you.
- @Mikko Koskinen was back between the pipes in pursuit of his 24th win of the season, and looking to build upon the heater he’s been on over the last six weeks or so. And since hes been so good lately, I’m having a hard time putting together my thoughts on his night because it’s not like the loss is all on Kostco and Gord knows he made some huge saves, but he also allowed goals at the worst possible times which is the worst thing he can do. So what can you say? Koskinen finished the night with 23 saves and a .857 save%.
- Rough night for Darnell Nurse. To be kind, this wasn’t anywhere close to his best and we need more than that from a guy that’s playing 20:47 on the top pairing.
YAKamoto, Bison king, what’s next ?!
— Kennedy (@kennedystrash) March 23, 2022
— ⓈⒾⓃⓀⒺⓋⒾⒸⒽ (@OilySink) March 23, 2022
— Greg (is pissy) (@Genosys79) March 23, 2022
Totally the guy who has Yahtzee layed out on the table when you come back from the kitchen. https://t.co/GwzLgl7Np5
— RealFakeDiesel (@RealFakeDiesel) March 23, 2022