THE BRIGHT SIDE
- @Connor McDavid opened the scoring (1-0) just over four minutes into the game after Puljujarvi found him in the slot with a pass from the blue line and the captain outwaited the goaltender in close before lifting a backhander up into the top of the net.
- @Ryan McLeod continues to make the city fall in love with him for not only his toothless grin but for the way his offence has started to come around as he gets more at-bats. Sure, you could call his first period goal (2-0) a lucky bounce but I’m going to give him the credit he deserves for coming up with a plan and executing it. McLeod added a power play goal (3-1) early in the second after Yamamoto found him flying down the middle with speed, hit him with a perfect pass, and the toothless wonder fooled the goalie with a sneaky little deke through the five-hole. How’s that for his first-ever two-goal performance?
- @Warren Foegele extended the lead to three goals (4-1) after pumping home a rebound from the slot after Vejmelka couldn’t handle Barrie’s point shot and kicked out a gift. I don’t know if this goal will lead to anything but I’m honestly hoping it gives Foegele a little bit of confidence down the stretch.
- How about a new career-high in goals for @Zach Hyman (5-1) after he was in the perfect spot at the right time to knock Draisaitl’s rebound into what was basically an empty net. For me personally, Hyman has been everything we could have hoped for and then some after he signed a long-term deal with the Oilers in the off-season. I love the dude.
- @Leon Draisaitl put the Oilers up by five (6-1) with a tap-in from the side of the net after Puljujarvi found him with a perfect pass to the tape that the goaltender had no chance of stopping. Remember when Leafs fans were so confident that Matthews was running away with the Rocket Richard? We’ll see about that.
- After a rough night in Calgary on Saturday, @Mikko Koskinen was rightfully back between the pipes and looking to get his team back on track, and while he wasn’t nearly as busy as his counterpart, I’d say he did a damned fine job when called upon. Even though the Coyotes don’t have the highest scoring team, they got some grade-A chances and the Oilers were lucky that Kostco was there to cover the bill. From start to finish, he was very good tonight and I was pumped to see him respond with a big win after getting yanked two days ago. Koskinen finished the night with 31 saves and a .969 save%.
- I really liked @Jesse Puljujarvi’s game alongside Kane and McDavid, and it was cool to see him get rewarded right away after some puck thievery and a really nice pass to set up the goal. Not finished there, Puljujarvi added another assist in the third period on a beautiful pass to Draisaitl that gave the former Hart winner one of the easiest tap-in goals he’ll get all season.
- You all know how much I love power play goals and I mean it even more so when they come from the second unit, and that’s exactly what we got when McLeod was able to get his team on the board with a beauty. Oilers finished the night at 1-for-3 with the man advantage.
- I come to you with info from the spreadsheets that state the Oilers finished the night with a 54.02 CF% and a 63.77 xGF%.
- If you’re a fan of the Corskis, you’ll be overjoyed to know that the Oilers outshot the Coyotes by a 42-32 margin.
THE FACE PALMERS
- @Clayton Keller got the Coyotes on the board (2-1) with a power play goal after his pass attempt changed direction off Zach Hyman’s stick and slid underneath a moving Koskinen.
- The magic of @Derick Brassard couldn’t last forever I suppose as the Oilers gave up one goal on four shorthanded situations.
- Speaking of penalties, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a guy take three straight penalties before as Evander Kane did in the third period. My guy went into the penalty box, came out, went back in moments late, came out for a second time, and then went right back in — it was honestly incredible.
- I am disappointed to announce that the Oilers won 48% of the faceoffs.
Ben’s coming back to the @EdmontonOilers game tonight to cheer on his buddies @ZachHyman and @cmcdavid97 and to cheer for the next @scotiabank skater! Win it for Ben! #LetsGoOilers pic.twitter.com/UqPE45EPIq
— Mike Stelter (@m_dan25) March 28, 2022
— Mike Stelter (@m_dan25) March 29, 2022
Evander Kane is now so close with the penalty box attendant that they're planning a summer vacation together right now
— Tyler Yaremchuk (@tyleryaremchuk) March 29, 2022
Kane heading to the bench after serving his 3rd penalty here pic.twitter.com/rmmKuHjDEG
— Ryan Nutzenberger (@ryan_nutz) March 29, 2022
How great would it be if after the game he also had a parking ticket
— Ryan (@IAmByks) March 29, 2022