THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Connor McDavid tied the game (1-1) on a coast-to-coast beauty after Justin Schultz fell — hat tip to Hyman — at the blue line and gave the captain an open lane to unleash a snipe from the slot. This guy is on a heater of all heaters and I hope he never ever walks away from the table. We’re so blessed to watch him.
- Derek Ryan gave the Oilers the lead (2-1) on a tap-in after he found a loose puck just laying in the crease behind Jones with nothing but six inches of ice standing in the way of the goal line.
- Warren Foegele extended the lead (3-1) with a really nice second-effort chip shot from his butt after a scramble near the crease left a loose puck out front of Jones. TBH I have no idea how Foegele was able to get as much lift on that puck from the position he was in but dammit was I pumped for him to see the guy finally get one.
- Only 61 seconds after Dunn narrowed the gap, Zach Hyman restored the two-goal lead with a free goal (4-2) after Draisaitl’s pass hit him in the skates and bounced to a Kraken defenceman who subsequently put the puck in his own net. Thanks for the freebie, sir.
- Ryan McLeod further extended the Oilers’ lead (5-3) with another tap-in goal after Dylan Holloway’s shot rang off the post and sat wide open in the crease. Using his wheels, McLeod beat the Seattle defender to the puck and cashed in one of the easiest goals he’ll ever score in this league.
- Playing in his fourth consecutive start and looking for his fourth straight win, Jack Campbell is looking to keep this winning streak going with a big matchup against Martin Jones. And just as he has in each of his last three starts, Soup was dialed in and making the kind of saves we expected him to make when we signed him. Outside of that stinker to Dunn — did anyone else notice that he changed gloves after — I thought Campbell was rock solid for the Oilers and absolutely deserved the win. Campbell finished the night with 29 saves and a .935 save%.
- I wasn’t expecting a whole lot from Evander Kane after the guy missed 31 games with a horrific injury, but man was he ever buzzing out there in his first game back. Considering all of the chances he had, Kane could have had at least a goal or two that’s a pretty damned fine effort for a guy that was probably feeling pretty rusty. I was pumped to see him back on the ice.
- I really like Philip Broberg’s night as he continues to round out his game. In 15:57 of TOI, Broberg registered two shots on net, one block, one takeaway, and a +4 rating.
- A big shout out to Vinny Desharnais for picking up his second NHL assist. I’m going to keep cheering for the guy as I think it’s incredible anytime a 7th rounder makes it to the show.
- Dylan Holloway quietly put up a two-assist night, giving him four points (1G, 3A) in his last four games.
- The Oilers outshot the Kraken by a 33-31 margin and you love to see it.
- I’m thrilled to report that the Oilers won 50% of the faceoffs. I’ll take it.
PRESENTED BY BETWAY
THE FACE PALMERS
- Daniel Sprong opened the scoring for the Kraken (1-0) on the power play after his shot took an unlucky bounce off of Darnell Nurse and into the net. That’s rough luck.
- Vince Dunn pulled the Kraken back to within a goal (3-2) on a long distance wrister from the high slot that bounced off of Campbell’s glove and into the net. That was a stoppable puck, I don’t know what else to say about this one.
- The Oilers lost the special teams battle this evening as they went 0/3 on the power play while giving up one goal in four shorthanded situations.
- I was sad to see Jesse Puljujarvi getting healthy scratched. I actually think he’s been playing a little bit better over the past few nights, but I’m not the one making the calls so we’ll see if this is just a one-night thing or if it leads us down the path to a bigger story.
Daniel Sprong (15) (Power Play)
Assists: Justin Schultz (19), Andre Burakovsky (25)
Connor McDavid (38)
Assists: Leon Draisaitl (43)
Derek Ryan (6)
Assists: Vincent Desharnais (2), Dylan Holloway (5)
Warren Foegele (5)
Assists: Leon Draisaitl (44), Zach Hyman (28)
Vince Dunn (9)
Assists: Alex Wennberg (14)
Zach Hyman (21)
Ryan McLeod (6)
Assists: Dylan Holloway (6), Zach Hyman (29)
In all fairness that guys face was asking for it
— The Bearded Brad (@The_BeardedBrad) January 18, 2023
He took it very personally.
— bcurlock (@bcurlock) January 18, 2023
But honestly, I could see a future for myself with Pola from Milf Manor
— Nick Alberga (@thegoldenmuzzy) January 18, 2023
FINALLY got a BIG JAM 💪 in Rogers Place with Gimme Gimme Gimme by Abba @jsbmbaggedmilk
— Kennedy (@kennedystrash) January 18, 2023
Soup is back
— nicko 24-18-3 (@2003nicko) January 18, 2023