THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Late in the second period, @Connor McDavid tied the game (1-1) with a shot from a weird angle after he made a beautiful drive to the net that the goaltender was able to stop initially but not keep control of the rebound. Once the puck popped out off the pad, Connor was there to pump it over the goal line. As a result, McDavid has now scored in four straight road games.
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins gave the Oilers the lead (2-1) shortly before the midway point of the third period after he found a loose puck near the crease, pulled off a little toe drag to change the angle, and fired a wrister past the goalie down low. I know he had a little bit of a slow start to the year in terms of goals, but he’s been very good since coming back from injury.
- With just under 5 minutes to play, @Kailer Yamamoto restored the Oilers’ lead (3-1) after being the business end of a beautiful passing play with Leon Draisaitl that saw the former MVP feed Yams with a perfect pass in the slot that he wasted no time of burying through the five-hole.
- @Zach Hyman added an empty-netter (4-2) with about a minute left to ice the game and nail the coffin shut.
- It always surprises me when teams are down by two goals and keep the goalie out, but that’s what happened and it allowed @Evander Kane to sink a second empty-netter (5-2) to make it a lopsided route.
- After a stellar performance against the Islanders on Friday night, Mike Smith was back in the crease and looking to build on what was undoubtedly his best start of the season. At first, Smith’s night started off shaky as a mistake he made behind the net was directly responsible for a goal, but he totally redeemed himself from there as he came up with a bunch of high-quality saves over the remainder of the game that kept his team in the mix. Smith finished the night with 30 saves and a .938 save%.
- I know it’s only a small thing but @Jesse Puljujarvi now has two points in his last three games after going eight games without a point leading into this stretch.
- The penalty kill was excellent once again, killing off all five of LA’s chances with the man advantage. Excellent performance.
- I have no idea how good he’ll be or where his ceiling is at but I’m a big Markus Niemelainen guy and I want you all to know it.
- I love the way Jay Woodcroft is spreading minutes around his roster because he legitimately looks like everyone is playing with more energy late in periods/the game in general. Am I wrong on that? I don’t think I am. Speaking of Woodcroft, this win made him the first coach in Oilers history to start out with a 3-0 record.
- If you’re partial to the fanciest of stats, I will let you know that the Oilers finished the night with a 47.69 CF% and a 59.68 xGF%.
- I had the ‘Can Opener’ count at four tonight, but I admit I may have missed one.
- Sign up for the new ON Newsletter! It’s a weekly thing I’m doing and I’ll have some giveaways, etc happening in there.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Arthur Kaliyev opened the scoring with a softie (1-0) after Mike Smith turned the puck over behind the goal line and then flubbed on the save when he got back in the crease. Needless to say, it was not an ideal first goal to allow.
- Four minutes after Edmonton grabbed the lead, Philip Danault tied the game (1-1) with a one-touch shot from the point that caught the Oilers napping in their own zone as he was basically untouched in the slot when Viktor Arvidsson found him with a perfect pass.
- @Devin Shore played only 2:57 and I can’t say I noticed that he didn’t get another shift until I was looking at the TOI.
- The power play continues to struggle at an alarming rate and it’s getting to the point where it’s making me sad. The Oilers finished the night at 0-for-5 on the PP and it’s almost unbelievable.
- @Zach Hyman had to have his tongue stitched up? Did I hear that right? That’s horrifying.
- Oilers suffered a Corski loss after being outshot by a 32-29 margin.
- I am heartbroken to report that the Oilers won only 42% of the faceoffs.
- Those silver helmets the Kings wore are an abomination.
I wasn't going to drink today but CAN OPENER
— Travis Dakin (@TravisDakin) February 16, 2022
"That's a really bad call" – Evander Kane
– Adam on twitter
— Adam (@Asnow119) February 16, 2022
Nugent-Hopkins since his return on January 25th:
10GP, 4G, 5A, 9 PTS, +5, 30 Shots (including tonight – 10 mins left to play).
Oilers: 6-2-1 (1-5-1 in seven games without RNH)
Line of Foegele, Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan strikes for their third goal in two nights. #Oilers
— Tony Brar (@TonyBrarOTV) February 16, 2022