THE BRIGHT SIDE
- @Derek Ryan kept his heater going with a huge second-period goal (2-1) that pulled his team back to within one after he broke into the zone on a half breakaway and made a nice little deke to his forehand before sliding the puck through Andersen’s legs.
- @Connor McDavid coming back from a high stick to the face with his mouth all caked in blood was a triumphant moment and I don’t want to hear even one word to the contrary.
- Having the boys hang with the Hurricanes despite missing Nugent-Hopkins, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Kassian was a major bright side. We’re not talking about playing shorthanded against the Coyotes, we’re talking about the team that is second in the league standings.
- As much as I was worried about how @Mike Smith would look in his 14th start of the season, I have to give him credit for putting in a strong performance and allowing his team the time they needed to settle in and get their lets going. Had it not been for Smith, the Oilers could have been down by more than a pair in the first period and it’s only fair to give him some love after expressing my doubts in this morning’s GDB. Smith finished the afternoon with 27 saves and a .931 save%.
- It was another big day for Darnell Nurse as he finished with 25:57 in TOI to go along with two shots on goal, five hits, and two blocks.
- @Leon Draisaitl finished with a team-high 28:08 in TOI, which is a ridiculous total for a forward. I know Connor was hurt for most of the first period but even so…
- Markus Niemalainen love post! Six more hits for the kid today.
- If you love a good Corski win then you’re probably excited about outshooting the Hurricanes by a 30-29 margin.
- Sign up for the new ON Newsletter! It’s a weekly thing I’m doing on Mondays and I’ll have some giveaways, etc happening in there.
THE FACE PALMERS
- @Teuvo Teravainen opened the scoring (1-0) on the back of a very pretty passing play that saw the Hurricanes cut through the Oilers’ defensive coverage like butter with a hot knife.
- @Sebastian Aho extended the lead (2-0) in the final minutes of the first period on a power play goal that looked nearly identical to the one Teravainen scored early as the Hurricanes were once again able to capitalize on another perfect passing play.
- The Oilers went 0/4 on the power play on a day when we desperately needed a goal and that makes this stat sting just a little bit extra.
- Things didn’t get much better on the penalty kill either as the Hurricanes were able to cash in one goal on three opportunities with the man advantage.
- I’m not going to make a big deal out of this today because I don’t have the energy to get too annoyed about it but the officiating was dreadful in this hockey game.
- The Oilers were way too undisciplined in the first period and it was almost like their goal was to give the Hurricanes as many power play chances as they needed to build a lead. I know a couple of those calls were pretty questionable at best, but to give Carolina three power plays in a period is a recipe for disaster.
- As much as I appreciate that Connor McDavid wanted to celebrate Smytty Day with us, I did not expect him to go so far as to get his face smashed in. Thankfully, he was able to come back with a bloodied mouth but there were definitely some tense moments before we knew he’d be able to keep playing. Brady Skjei, you’re on the list.
- Unfortunately, I must report that the Oilers won only 40% of the faceoffs.
- I come to you in peace and love with a report from the spreadsheets that states the Oilers finished the night with a 47.95 CF% and a 49.75 xGF%.
- Even though they had 30 shots on net, I still thought the Oilers passed up on too many chances to throw the puck on net and try to battle for some kind of garbage goal near the crease.
Hallelujah mcd is on the ice.
— Mike Salame (@Mike_Salame) February 27, 2022
Derek "Rocket Richard" Ryan
— Thomas Simpson (@tsimpson76) February 27, 2022
Derek Ryan is the Mayor of Edmonton
— Jay Downton (@thesquireyeg) February 27, 2022
brady can you leave mcdrai alone thanks pic.twitter.com/OLM0l1S2u4
— Kennedy (@kennedystrash) February 27, 2022
Win or lose today, I'm impressed by the effort of the Oilers players and team structure. Carolina is an elite team with proper rest.
— Rouel (@itsrouel) February 27, 2022