THE BRIGHT SIDE
- WE REMAIN UNDEFEATED IN THE BEN STELTER ERA!
- Shortly after the Oilers killed off the two-man disadvantage, @Evander Kane tied the game (1-1) on a sneaky little wrap-around that seemed to confuse Kuemper a little bit because he crossed the crease at a glacial pace to try and stop that puck. Either way, it was a huge goal by Kane at a time when his team desperately needed one. He added another goal near the midway point of the second period (3-2) after being the business end of a beautiful passing play that saw Yamamoto hit Keith who found Kane right at the side of the net with a wide-open net to shoot at. Amazingly, Kane completed the hat trick (4-2) before the second period was even over with a nifty little dangle through the defence before sneaking a wrister through the goaltender that just barely squeaked its way over the line.
- Just over a minute after Kane tied things up, @Evan Bouchard gave the Oilers the lead (2-1) after his slapshot took a friendly bounce off the boards, bounced straight up in the air, and was falling in the crease right at the moment when Dad was arriving at the crease. Mix a little bit of luck with some damned fine hand-eye coordination and all of a sudden, the Oilers were up by a goal.
- @Kailer Yamamoto gave the Oilers some extra insurance (5-2) with a big goal midway through the third period that was not only huge for the team but especially for Yamo as he had gone 13 straight without scoring a goal. He’s another guy you’d love to have going at full speed as we head into the playoffs and I’m hoping tonight’s goal will be the start of something.
- @Kris Russell absolutely drained the empty-netter (6-3) from the other end of the ice to give himself a multi-point night and extend his point streak to three games. Hell yeah, cowboy!
- Even though I thought Woodcroft might go back to Koskinen to keep him active, @Mike Smith was understandably back between the pipes for his fourth straight start and tasked with locking down the Clinch-mas celebration. Poised and confident, Smith gave his team another solid performance and he made the saves you need your starter to make without having any garbage get through to ruin the night. While he wasn’t perfect, he easily outdueled his counterpart and gave his team the goaltending they needed to close out a playoff-clinching win. Smith finished the night with 34 saves and a .919 save%.
- How about another casual three-point night for @Connor McDavid? If Connor putting up six points in his last two games isn’t his version of telling Huberdeau to piss off then I don’t know what is.
- How about another round of applause for the Oilers’ PK after they killed off ALL SIX shorthanded situations they face? Incredible penalty killing tonight.
- The spreadsheet society wanted me to let you know that the Oilers finished with a 53.09 CF% and a 57.54 xGF%.
- I had the can opener count at two tonight.
- How can you not love to see that the Oilers won 55% of the faceoffs? You love it, just admit it and you’ll feel better.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Valeri Nichushkin got the Avalanche on the board (1-0) with a chance off the rush that came because the Oilers were caught being too aggressive in the offensive zone. While I appreciated the push for offence, the boys needed to do a better job of taking care of the defensive side of the puck because the Avalanche will absolutely burn you if you’re sloppy. Only 15 seconds after Bouchard gave the Oilers the lead, Nichushkin picked up his second of the night (2-2) with a wrist shot off the rush, which happened to be one of the only goals against that I wish Smith would have had.
- With the net empty, @Nathan MacKinnon pulled the Avalanche back to within two goals (5-3) with a sneaky wrister through traffic that made its way through Smith.
- @Darnell Nurse left the game in the second period with some kind of lower-body injury and did not return. I don’t think I have to explain to anyone reading this why that’s bad news for the Edmonton Oilers.
- If I’m going to nitpick, it’s going to be about the Oilers going 0-for-2 on the power play. As much as it’s incredibly nice to pick up five even strength goals and an empty-netter, you’d love to have the PP running at full steam as we head into the playoffs. We know the whistles can go away at times so the boys will need to take advantage of whatever chances they do get.
- The Corskis did not go our way as the Avalanche outshot our boys by a 37-27 margin.
- All I’m going to say is that the referees were an adventure. I think that’s enough, but I also know you get it.
🎵 Here in Makar
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live Makar🎵
— William Mikespeare (@tpr0012) April 23, 2022
They have an employee (I've had friends on the web team stand in on photos in the past) who's around the same size stand in the team shot, then they take Kane's photo in the same lighting setup, and just photoshop his head into the photo.
— FloriDylDyl (@dylanjlynch) April 23, 2022
3 seconds from turning that car around until the linesman stopped him
— X – ⓈⒾⓃⓀⒺⓋⒾⒸⒽ (@OilySink) April 23, 2022
Dwyer and Sutherland should go back to Walmart greeting.
— Kerry McGowan (@306Kerosene) April 23, 2022