THE BRIGHT SIDE
- @Evander Kane cannot stop scoring goals and the heater continued this morning (1-0) with a snipe from the slot after McDavid found him with plenty of time and space. I mean, what can you say about 21 goals in 40 games? Ridiculous.
- @Leon Draisaitl restored the Oilers’ lead (2-1) with a power play goal from his office after — you guessed it — McDavid hit him with a cross-ice pass to the wheelhouse that he was able to tee off on.
- Another multi-point game for @Connor McDavid as he continues to put Jonathan Huberdeau in the rearview mirror. Make it 11 points for McDavid in his last three games.
- I love seeing that the power play was able to get something done on one of its three chances because the PP is kinda the only thing that hasn’t been firing on all cylinders over these last few weeks, and I’d love nothing more than to see the boys get hot before the playoffs. Obviously, we needed more than the one goal today but it was nice to see the boys execute.
- Oilers were back in the Corski win column after outshooting the Jackets by a 35-31 margin.
- The spreadsheet society offers good news after the Oilers finished with a 56.63 CF% and a 52.37 xGF%.
- I had the can opener count at two tonight.
- Shout out to the posts for bailing us out a handful of times! They tried their best to make this happen.
THE FACE PALMERS
- The Oilers were outworked by a team that’s missing a huge chunk of their everyday starters and that’s incredibly frustrating to me. The refs certainly didn’t help, but I ain’t got no time for excuses.
- Four straight goals for Columbus in the third period. *farts loudly*
- @Eric Robinson tied the game (1-1) late in the first period after he drove to the net and found a loose puck waiting for him in the crease. Overall it was a broken, lucky bounce kind of goal that I don’t know how much more the Oilers could have done to prevent it other than maybe Yamamoto collapsing to the net a little quicker but even so… way she goes sometimes.
- @Oliver Bjorkstrand tied the game for a second time (2-2) on another bouncing puck around the net that the Oilers just couldn’t get a handle on after they got caught running around in their own zone.
- Nick Blankenburg gave Columbus the lead (3-2) with a power play goal — his first in the NHL — after his wrister from the point made its way through traffic, off the bar, and into the back of the net.
- @Jack Roslovic extended Columbus’ lead (4-2) on the back of a 2-on-1 rush where the Oilers couldn’t take away the pass, which left the goal scorer open with an empty net to shoot at.
- @Cole Sillinger wrapped things up with an empty-netter (5-2) to give the Blue Jackets four straight goals.
- For the first time in a while, the Oilers gave up a goal on the power play (1/3) and it ended up being the game winner.
- After watching @Mike Smith do his thing for the last for games, @Mikko Koskinen was back between the pipes and looking to lock in home ice advantage for his teammates in the playoffs. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be as neither he nor his teammates were very sharp this morning, and it proved to be costly as they simply gave up way too much in their own end and Kostco wasn’t able to bail them out enough. Koskinen finished the game with 26 saves and a .867 save%.
- Elvis Merzlikins was far too annoying for my liking. Far too annoying indeed. Elvis left the building with 33 saves and a .943 save%.
- Nuge’s line was invisible.
- How can you not be filled with sadness when you find out that the Oilers won only 48% of the faceoffs?
- I don’t know how many times the Oilers would lob a soft pass to no one in particular but it happened far too often for my liking and we were actually lucky Columbus couldn’t take advantage more than they ultimately did.
- Today was the game of game where we really missed Darnell Nurse’s ability to wheel the puck out of his own zone. Here’s hoping this injury is as minor as they say and that’s back up and running as quickly as possible.
— Patrick 🇺🇦 (@OhNoNotPatrick) April 24, 2022
You've got to admire the committment pic.twitter.com/5TKYTmBXhF
— TheTowelBoy (@TheTowelBoy) April 24, 2022
— Jesse Goddard (@Jessekgoddard) April 24, 2022