IMO the Edmonton Oilers must be exhaustive in their efforts to improve scoring depth up front and should be prepared to move their 2019 #1 if neccessary to acquire a legit top 6 FWD…with term…
— Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) January 9, 2019
- Kyle Palmieri (NJD): A versatile forward who plays both left and right wing. Palmieri is signed for two more years after this one at $4,650,000. He has 36 points in 44 games this year and has cracked the 50-point plateau in two of three years since arriving in New Jersey.
- Sami Vatanen (NJD): Acquired in a one-for-one deal last year with Anaheim, Sami Vatanen hasn’t maintained his offensive production in New Jersey. He has just 15 points in 41 games this year but a few years ago was a solid puck-moving and power play defenceman with the Ducks. He’s signed for one more year after this one at $4,875,000.
- Dougie Hamilton (CAR): After just half a season in Carolina, it seems Dougie Hamilton could be on the move again. Hamilton is that top-pairing, right-handed defenceman the Oilers badly need. He’s signed for $5,750,000 for two more years after this one.
- Justin Faulk (CAR): A name we’ve heard many, many times is Justin Faulk. He’s an offensive, right-handed defenceman who has been rumoured in trades out of Carolina for years. He’s got one more year left at $4,833,333 after this one.
- Teuvo Teravainen (CAR): Another versatile forward, the former 18th overall pick soon-to-be RFA could be available out of Carolina. He has 36 points in 44 games and plays both centre and wing.
- Mike Green (DET): Another name we’ve discussed here many times is Mike Green. Though he’s far from the player he was with Washington, Green is still an excellent offensive option for the power play. He’s signed for one more year at $5,375,000.
- Colton Parayko (STL): It’s a little shocking to me the Blues would consider moving Parayko, given he’s only 25 and is signed for three more years after this one at $5,500,000, but the Blues are apparently ready to sell anyone. Like Hamilton, he would be that top-pair right-handed defenceman that would round out Edmonton’s top-four, though he isn’t really known for his puck moving.
- Brayden Schenn (STL): After a huge season in his first season St. Louis last year, Schenn has had a bit of a step back on a struggling Blues club in 2018-19. He’s one year removed from scoring 70 points and has always been a force on the power play throughout his career. He’s signed for $5,125,000 for one more year after this one.
- Tyler Toffoli (LA): Though it might not be likely the Kings make a trade within the division, Tyler Toffoli would be a sensible option for the Oilers. He’s a consistent 20-goal scorer signed for one more year at $4,600,000. Toffoli is having a miserable season as he has just seven goals in 46 games, but everyone on the Kings is having a rough time.
- Jake Muzzin (LA): One of the league’s most underrated defenders could be a massive upgrade to Edmonton’s top-four. Muzzin is signed for one more year after this one at $4,000,000. He moves the puck well, has a good point shot, and has a lot of experience playing in the playoffs.