This morning, the Edmonton Oilers announced via their social media platforms that the team has loaned forward Patrick Russell to Rungsted Seier Capital of Denmark’s Metal Ligaen for the start of the 2020-21 season.
Another #Oilers player loaned… Patrick Russell will play for Rungsted Seier Capital of the Danish National League (Metal Ligaen) to start this season.
— Jason Gregor (@JasonGregor) September 23, 2020
As we’ve seen more than a dozen times this offseason, Ken Holland continues to find temporary homes in European leagues for his players and prospects, and today it was Patrick Russell getting the call for assignment. Rather than wait around for hockey to start, Russell will instead be starting his year with the Rungsted Seier Capital of Denmark’s Metal Ligaen while we wait for the NHL’s regular-season return, which is tentatively set to happen in late December or early January.
Russell marks the 14th Oilers player or prospect to be placed with a European team so far as Ken Holland continues to ensure that his guys won’t have to wait any longer than they already have before being able to play competitive games. While Russell is only expected to be a 13th forward for the Oilers this season, it’s imperative that he’s able to play as much as possible to make sure he’s as sharp as he can be ahead of the 2020-21 NHL season, especially if he’s hoping to stick in the lineup.
The 27-year-old undrafted free agent originally signed with the franchise back in 2016 and had himself a breakout season with the Bakersfield Condors in 2018-19, scoring 18 goals and 22 assists in 51 games which led to his leap to the big leagues for 2019-20. The native of Holte, Denmark, signed a one-year contract extension with the Oilers worth $700,000 back in August after putting up five assists in 45 games in Edmonton before the season was paused as a result of COVID-19.
RUSSELL’S PRO CAREER SO FAR
Here’s the full list of where Oilers players will be playing this fall:
- Tyler Benson to the GCK Lions of the Swiss League
- Cooper Marody to Dornbirn Bulldogs of the Austrian Hockey League
- Evan Bouchard loaned to Allsvenskan
- Ryan McLeod loaned to EV Zug of the Swiss league
- Gaetan Haas loaned to SC Bern of Swiss league
- Joakim Nygard has been loaned to the SHL’s Farjestad
- Raphael Lavoie loaned to HockeyAllsvenskan
- Phillip Broberg was loaned to Skelleftea AIK of the SHL
- Theodor Lennstrom was loaned to Frolunda HC in the SHL
- Dmirti Samorukov was loaned to the KHL’s CSKA Moscow