The Edmonton Oilers have placed forward Mattias Janmark and defenceman Dmitri Samorukov on waivers, the club announced Friday.
Both players are expected to be assigned to the AHL’s Bakersfield Condors should they clear waivers.
— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) October 7, 2022
These waiver placements mean a few things. First and foremost, Derek Ryan will be apart of the Oilers’ opening-day roster. It also means the battle for the depth roles shrinks.
It’s now between Ryan Murray, Philp Broberg and Markus Niemelainen for the sixth and seventh spots on the Oilers’ backend. I’m not shocked to see Samorukov on waivers. It felt, to me, like he was the longest shot of them to make it.
Murray is a guy I think is the perfect number 6/7 for the Oilers, so in my eyes, it’s really between Broberg and Niemelainen for that other spot. Neither has been perfect, but I really feel like it’s going to be Broberg who is sent down. I could be wrong, but it feels to me like he needs to learn how to play with the extra weight he put on.
As I wrote in Thursday’s The Day After, I expected Janmark to be waived and sent down to the Condors. It’s easier to trust a veteran player like Derek Ryan, who knows the system well, and has familiarity with the coaching staff already.
Zach Laing is the Nation Network’s news director and senior columnist. He can be followed on Twitter at @zjlaing, or reached by email at [email protected]
- When: On Thursday, January 12th, we’re jumping on a flight at the Edmonton International Airport and making our way to Vegas. On Sunday evening, we’ll fly back from Vegas to Edmonton. So the dates that you need to block off for this trip are January 12th to 15th.
- Where we’re staying: After landing in LV, we’ll jump on the free shuttle and make our way to the Park MGM before settling in for a good night’s sleep. 😉
- What you get: Your roundtrip flight, hotel, shuttle, viewing party (Friday night), game entry — we got seats this time (Saturday night), and exclusive entry into our pre-trip ‘get to know everyone’ event.
- How Much: The total cost for the trip, flight, hotel, and entry to the game is $1499 per person (based on double occupancy)
- Tickets: Ready to dive in? Click this link.