THE BRIGHT SIDE
- @Leon Draisaitl opened the scoring (1-0) with a power play goal near the end of the first period after he picked the puck up high in the zone and lasered a seeing-eye wrist shot through traffic and over Hart on the glove-hand side.
- @Kailer Yamamoto extended the lead to two (2-0) after he drove to the goalmouth, found a loose puck sitting in the crease, and pumped it over the goal line before anyone could clear it away. This was the kind of greasy goal we don’t see this team score enough and I was fired up to see them get it.
- @Connor McDavid finished the game off with an empty-netter (3-0) to put the Oilers up by three and nail the coffin shut. I will always celebrate McPoints and the captain put up two more of them.
- @Mikko Koskinen was back between the pipes and looking for his 19th win of the season, coming off what was undoubtedly his best performance of the year against the Florida Panthers. And just like he did on Saturday afternoon, Mikko was rock solid in net for his team and gave them the kind of goaltending that allowed them to weather a few storms and bounce back unscathed. I mean, what else can you say about a guy that stopped all 39 shots he faced? Perfection.
- I thought @Darnell Nurse had a really strong night on the back end as he was once again called upon to play big minutes in all situations. Nurse finished with 24:46 in TOI to go along with an assist and one shot on goal.
- It seems like every single night, @Ryan McLeod does something that impressive and I’m a huge fan of the way he keeps getting better and better with each passing week. I don’t know where his offensive ceiling will end up, but I’m having a good time watching the progression in his young career.
- @Zach Hyman appreciation post for the way he literally hustles all game long.
- Shout out to Duncan Keith for being quietly solid in his first game back.
- Huge props go out to the penalty killers for handling both shorthanded situations they faced on a night when they really needed some big kills. This was the first time the Oilers have shut a team out on the PK in a while and I appreciated that result.
- Congrats to Brad Malone for playing his 200th NHL game!
- With peace and love, I bring you a report from the spreadsheets which states that the Oilers finished the night with a 45.54 CF% and a 52.94 xGF%.
- Kinda fun to remember that the Flyers are still paying Ilya Bryzgalov $1,642,857 per season until 2026-27.
- Sign up for the new ON Newsletter! It’s a weekly thing I’m doing and I’ll have some giveaways, etc happening in there.
THE FACE PALMERS
- I don’t know why it bothers me that the Flyers outshot the Oilers in every period but it does. Maybe I’m just nitpicking.
- I thought the boys relied on Mikko Koskinen way too much in the third period as they seemed content to sit back and try to defend rather than push ahead for more offence.
- The Oilers’ power play was anything but powerful, finishing the night at 1-for-5 and contributing greatly to the stress I was feeling since the game wasn’t wrapped up way earlier.
- How many times did the Oilers turn the puck over in the third period? I don’t have the number myself but it was enough to make me scream at my TV a few times after what was an ugly collection of passes to no one in particular.
- The NHL site had the giveaways at 13-12 with the Oilers having more and that makes a lot of sense to me.
- If you love a good Corski win then you’re probably upset about the fact that the Flyers outshot the Oilers by a 39-32 margin.
- I regret to inform you that the Oilers won only 48% of the faceoffs.
Can confirm it wasn’t
— Barry Kachur (@Tehbigbear8) March 2, 2022
“I’ve always tried to model my game after Derek Ryan” – Wayne Gretzky
— Woz (@itsWozzz) March 2, 2022
Celebrating a goal in the other team's crease is such an F U and I love it
— Ryan (@IAmByks) March 2, 2022
Has Jay Woodcroft tried this yet? pic.twitter.com/X5nbpTEKlz
— Mike Z 🇺🇦 (@Zinner2dot1) March 2, 2022
So this just happened on Wheel of Fortune. pic.twitter.com/FgVunCEmDg
— Kenny (@KennyK089) March 2, 2022